Bronchial Asthma is a chronic inflammatory disorder of the airway affecting 3-5% of the total population. Research in respiratory medicine and associated expertise is going on now-a-days but respiratory diseases are still a challenge in front of modern health care workers but ayurvedic natural supplements are quite effective in curing asthma as natural remedies work on the root cause of the disease.
Asthma is a chronic obstructive disease of the airway of lungs which obstructs easy flow of air in the lungs. The bronchial tubes get obstructed, inflamed and inner surface gets swollen. This causes breathing difficulties and wheezing. According to Charak, it is not easily curable disease.
According to Ayurveda
- The use of medicinal plants for the treatment of asthma is gaining importance. Ayurveda is a system that prevailed since 5,000 years ago and it is the most superior and logically proven and continues to shine in the present time. What modern science describes allergy is already seen in the ancient books. There are 5 types of asthma as described in Ayurveda.
- Tamaka swasa is one of them. Tamaka Swasa is an illness of Pranvaha Srotas, caused due to the predominant morbidity of Vata and Kapha dosha afflicting the Rasa Dhatu. Vitiated Pranvayu also irritates the nasal cavity increased secretion. The imbalance of Vata and Kapha Dosha afflicts the Rasa Dhatu in the pathogenesis of Tamaka swasa.
- During the attack of Tamaka Swasa, almost all symptoms, productive cough, sputum etc. are the symptoms of pathogenic of Rasa dhatu abnormality. As the disease runs a chronic course, the vitiated Vata dosha dries up the circulating rasa Dhatu contributing to the weakness and emaciation in the patient.
Asthma Risk factors
- The causative factors of swasa roga in general are also considered as the etiological factors of Tamaka Swasa. It may develop as an independent illness as a result of exposure to specific related to Vata and Kapha dosha. Environmental factors include cold weather, cloudy weather, dust, smoke etc.
- The disease may also manifest as a result of certain disorder like – fever, cough, allergic rhinitis etc. It is predominantly Vatakaphaj Vyadhi originating from Pittasthana (Amashya) and manifested through Pranvaha Srotas (Respiratory Channel). Vata gets obstruction by Kapha and travels into opposite direction and in turn causes Asthma.
- At initial stage, it is said to be curable, but in chronic cases it becomes manageable disease. In Ayurvedic classics, the clinical features of Tamak Swas seems to be resemble with the description of bronchial asthma in modern medicine. The word Tamaka Swasa consists of two words— “Tamaka” means fainting/blackish discolouration in front of eyes and “Swasa” means to breathe.
What are the symptoms of Asthma?
- Chest tightness
- Shortness of breath
- Dark blacks in front of eyes.
- Recurrent breathing problem
What are the causes of Asthma?
- Inhaling fumes/gases/dust particles
- Air irritants/smoke/strong odour/mosquito repellent
- Sudden changes in climate
- There is no any concrete specific test to make accurate diagnosis. It is dependent on the symptoms and response to therapy. Various blood tests to determine the growth of eosinophil’s and IGE antibody, X-rays of lung, allergic test.
Classification – According to clinical way, asthma is classified depending on
- Forced Expiratory Volume
- Peak Expiratory flow rate
It is of two kinds—
- Atopic (extrinsic) – symptoms due to allergen.
- Non-atopic (intrinsic) – non-participated by allergen.
Types of Asthma according to Ayurveda
- Heavy breathing
- Interrupted Breath
- Darkness behind eyes
It is further divided into two types—
- Santamak –symptoms, aggravated at night time.
- Pratamak – due to physiological factors
- Subsides by itself
Other types of Asthma which are difficult to treat—
- The air element – dry type
- The fire element – infection type
- The water type – congestion type
Other types of Asthma due to physical factors—
- Occuaptional – This type of asthma is caused due to the exposure at the work place due to the particular dust, welding, soldering, chemicals, working in mines, mills etc.
- Aspirin induced Asthma – Intake of Aspirin for long time may exacerbate to respiratory tract disease. Infected people may have trouble with nasal polyp.
- Alcohol induced Asthma – Alcohol is found inducing asthma in some persons that worsen the asthmatic situation.
- Diet induced – Excessive intake of black grams, excessive salts, raw milk, fish, meat, dry food, heavy diet may induce asthma due to excessive Kapha production.
- Exercise Induced – Due to heavy exercise, bronchio-constriction may appear in the professional athletes, cyclists that leads to induce asthma. In this case, immunity strength does not play a role.
- Hereditary – Many families have the history of asthma. 40% patients may have this reason.
Asthma Natural Remedies
- Tulsi Capsules
- Praan Rakshak Churna
- Aller-G Care
Tulsi Capsules – Tulsi Capsules of Planet Ayurveda are packed with pure extract of best quality Tulsi. There is no other herb equivalent to Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum). It balances Kapha dosha and is quite useful to relieve excess sputum production. It is anti-microbial and Tulsi plant is one of the best anti-viral herbs of Ayurveda. This herb is useful in the treatment of asthma and chronic respiratory disorders.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice a day.
Praan Rakshak Churna—Praan Rakshak Churna of Planet Ayurveda is a wonderful combination of various herbs like
- Shirish (Albezzia lebbeck)
- Vasa (Adhatoda vasica)
- Anantmool (Tylphora asthmatica)
- Dalchini (Cinnamomum zeylanica)
- Bharangi (Clerodendrum serratum)
- Madhuyashti (Glycorrhiza glabra)
Dosage: 1 teaspoon twice daily.
Aller-G Care – Aller-G care of Planet Ayurveda serves as a nutraceutical product which is a great combination of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Neem (Azadirachta indica), Haridra (Curcuma longa) and Shirish (Albizzia lebback)
Dosage: 2 capsules twice a day.
These natural supplements of Planet Ayurveda help to maintain healthy lung function and support proper functioning of the immune system. These natural remedies of Planet Ayurveda can prove to be effective in supporting the health of all people suffering from any kind of respiratory problem.
Diet – Avoid sour food, deep fried and processed food having preservatives. Avoid foods such as curd, rice, lentils, cheese, heavy foods, bananas, over-eating. Take a light dinner and drink warm water.
also read = good health wishes